Friday, October 16, 2015

Race Weekend

Though I am completely unprepared; it is race weekend. Not that I will be "racing" by any means. I just want to finish!
 
I was really hoping that after Med City Fall Half in September, I would go into this weekend feeling more trained and better prepared. However, since then we've had a family reunion, a weekend visit from my parents, and a weekend of trying to get caught up.
 
I knew I needed a good run last weekend, but it just didn't happen. :( Just chalk up another one for life. Nothing new. As far as I'd come over the summer, lately I am back to feeling that life has been winning for the last 6+ months.
 
When I came across this picture, I knew it had to be my motto for Sunday's run.

 

Maybe running a half-marathon on under-trained legs will let me put the events of this year behind me. Even if at times even I've looked at them as excuses, the toll this year has taken on me is undeniable. I am hoping to find some 5k or 10k races for November/December, but really my goal after this weekend until mid-January is to maintain fitness, increase mileage, and lose some pounds. Then things get real again! :)

So, what do I think is possible this weekend? Well, finishing for one. I will cross that finish line. I really want to beat my time from September, which was my slowest half yet - for that to happen I need to be faster than 2:49:12. With no idea what to expect given my lack of training, I'd like to maintain between 12:15-12:30 paces, or a 2:40-2:43 finish. Anything faster will be luck!

So, I guess we'll see what Sunday brings ....

No comments: