Going into the race, I had no idea what to expect. With all of the long runs, and trying to gauge marathon pacing, it had been quite awhile sine I ran fast. I decided on three goals:
Goal 1 - run it in around 33 minutes; about an 11 min pace.
Goal 2 - PR! For that to happen I needed to beat 30:34 according to my official time from Light the Night last October.
Goal 3: Run it in less than 30 minutes.
I went out fast, but it didn't start feeling fast or hard until about the one mile marker. When I saw my Garmin display under a 9:00 minute mile, I more or less knew I wouldn't be able to keep that up. At least I had given myself some cushion though.
The first water stop (I couldn't believe they had more than one for a 5k!) was a good excuse to grab a breather. I walked twice more after the turn around - once just to take a breather and once up the hill! Miles 2 & 3 were pretty consistent. I did some math in my head, and knew under 30 was a stretch but possible.
I turned the last corner, glanced at my watch, and sprinted in. (Well, it was a sprint for me anyway!)
The display on my watch read 3:09. Later, when I plugged my Garmin into my computer, this is what I saw for splits:
Split
|
Time
|
Distance
|
Avg Pace
|
|---|---|---|---|
| Summary | 30:09.5 | 3.12 | 9:40 |
| 1 | 8:54.2 | 1.00 | 8:54 |
| 2 | 10:04.7 | 1.00 | 10:05 |
| 3 | 10:18.9 | 1.00 | 10:19 |
| 4 | :51.7 | 0.12 | 7:17 |
According to the race timing (it wasn't chipped time), I finished in 3:07! A pretty nice PR! According to official timing from October, I PR'd by 27 seconds. According to my Nike app timing from the same October race, I PR'd by 10 seconds. A little frustrated that I was just :07 away from under 30 - I mean that's the water stop, or the hill! Oh well!
A few pictures from the day:
![]() |
| my twin sister and me |
![]() |
| with our Opa, her two oldest, and her husband |
My sister took 9/25 in our age group, and I took 11. (Official results can be found using the link at the beginning of this post)
Not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning!


1 comment:
Yay for a PR! getting a 5k in under 30 should come soon for sure! Isn't it amazing how easy that first mile always feels :)
Post a Comment