Monday, September 1, 2014

Weekly Wrap-Up: 8.25.14 - 8.31.14

I started to write this Sunday night, but when we found ourselves is a thunderstorm warning (with lots of lightening) and a dead laptop battery - I figured it was best to hold off to finish it until Monday!

---

Still not my strongest week ever, but it was my best week of this month (most mileage and highest total training time). I'm still undecided if that is good or bad. Sure, it means it wasn't a bad week. However, it puts the month as a whole in a certain perspective! Here's how the week played out:

Monday: planned TRX, plus 6 miles (1 as a warm-up before TRX and 5 after). I came home from my first day of staff development week with such a killer headache! I also didn't leave school until 4:15, or later, and had to get Ava. TRX starts at 5, people! I made the made dash home, changed, and flew out of the house. I drove to the Y with no time to run there. I stayed in my workout clothes, with the intent of running after supper. I was hoping by then my headache would be gone. It finally did disappear around 7, but too much time between meant my motivation was gone. TRX was it for the night. Again, the two rounds of biceps and triceps killed me!

Tuesday: planned Kickboxing and Interval Conditioning (kettle bells). Instead, I ran 6 miles (5 before IC and 1 home afterwards) and went to class. Technically, I had 5,1 on the way there in 59:33 (11:31 average) and 1.17 on the way home in 13:14 (11:19 average). Staying after class talking and ultimately running home in the dark keeps your feet quick! I am actually pleasantly surprised to see my average was that during those first 5; for a good mile, right after the mile 2 mark, my knee was really giving me a hard time. Kettle bells was a sub instructor, who has subbed quite a few times now. She doesn't incorporate a lot of cardio, and tends to do two or three rounds of similar moves - swings, lunges, squats, some ab work, etc.

Wednesday: Rest day (I had open house conferences that evening!)

Thursday: planned and actual - Kickboxing and Interval Conditioning (kettle bells). Kickboxing felt unusually hard, even though the routine itself was not that difficult. My arms just felt very heavy - maybe still from TRX? It was good to have our regular instructor back after some time off for her, and the closed week! Even if her moves are the same, she just bring a different energy level. With the smaller group we had, one difference tonight was she has us get in a line for wall sits, then we had to pass a kettle bell back and forth. Makes it fun when she throws things like that in!

Friday: planned 7x400 Speed work! - roughly 5 miles total; and thought about maybe throwing in cycle box, too. Ended up being a day off. Chad went to help his cousin work on finishing their move. They've been moving on and off all month, and we hadn't been around the other weekends they were hauling stuff. I watched their boys, plus two of their friends, from about 9am - after 6pm, while they made three hauls! I am pretty sure I had the easy job. Just didn't fit in a workout. Had I planned better, I could have gone to run before Chad left at 8:00 to help.

Saturday: planned 10 mile long run. Actual - nothing! I just woke up feeling lazy and out of routine. It took a half a day to even muster up the energy to go run some errands for crying out loud. So, no real good reason for today. It was just one of those days.

Sunday: planned strength work - arms and core. actual 8.09 miles. Actually, I ended up with 9, because before I left for my run I took Ava for a run. She ran about a mile! We walked for a little bit before I started my watch for her, and then once I did it tracked .93. I was proud of her - she remembered from the night before that I said she could go one mile with me and melted my heart when she said, "Mommy, I love running with you!" She was excited to be out there. Though after the burst at the beginning it was hard to keep her going! We ended up at home with a handful of "things" - sticks for Max, dirt for Dad, and leaves for me! Such a sweet spirit! My actual run was not at all good. I guess that's a lie. The first couple of miles went off without a hitch. I was especially glad that my knee was feeling good (thanks in part, most likely, to two days off). By mile 4, I was feeling tired though. So much so in fact that I took mile 5 as a recovery mile. I was on a stretch of trail lined with utility poles, so I ran two and walked one. I made myself keep this up even after I started to feel better. I don't know if it was the humidity and that I was out at a different time of day (not early morning or evening), but I drank more water than typical and felt like I couldn't get a good deep breath in. I finished in 1:40:06 - 12:22 average. It was my longest run of the month of August - sad! Glad to have that run behind me!





----

two (three if you split up Tuesday's) runs for 14.43 miles
four group fitness classes
5:27:53 total time training

No comments: